Drug addiction statistics show time and again that there is a strong need for rehab treatment insurance across the country. More and more people are developing addictions to prescription drugs and other dangerous substances. Alcohol addiction remains a threat for men and women of all ages and demographics across the US. Insurance is the only way that many of these addicted individuals can change their lives for the better.
What Is Rehabilitation Insurance?
Rehab treatment insurance refers to any medical or mental health insurance plan that covers addiction rehab, detox or other recovery related programs. Rehab insurance is generally offered by major insurance carriers. It can be obtained as part of individual health insurance plans or by those on employee health care plans.
Why Is Addiction Treatment Insurance So Important?
Simply put, the cost of drug addiction rehab or alcohol rehab programs in the United States can be quite significant. Many residential drug rehab programs cost several thousand dollars or more per month to attend. Although outpatient rehab treatment is less expensive than residential care, the cost may still be out of reach for many families. Rehab insurance makes it possible for people to get the help they so desperately need.
What Is Covered by Insurance?
Rehab treatment insurance covers all or a portion of care for a number of different addictions and substance abuse problems, including:
- Drug Addiction. Drug addictions may vary, but they all have the power to throw the addict’s life into chaos.
- Alcoholism. One of the most common ddictions in the world, alcoholism can destroy families and the individual’s health and well-being.
- Vicodin Addiction. Currently the most abused prescription painkiller in the world, Vicodin can lead to a number of physical and psychological problems.
- OxyContin Addiction. Men and women who are addicted to OxyContin live with the constant threat of overdose as a result of abusing this powerful prescription painkiller.
- Marijuana Addiction. Although there is considerable debate about whether or not marijuana is addictive in a technical sense, the drug continues to upend the lives of countless individuals who use it chronically.
- Cocaine Addiction. Cocaine addiction numbers have fallen in recent years, but abuse of the drug in powder and rock form is still an issue throughout the US.
- Crystal Meth Addiction. One of the most destructive drugs in the world, crystal meth has become a challenge for treatment professionals because it is highly addictive, easy to obtain and quite volatile.
Different Types of Drug and Alcohol Treatment Covered by Insurance
Because every addicted individual is different, it is important to understand the various types of treatment programs that are covered most commonly by insurance carriers. The most common types of rehab centers include:
- Residential Drug and Alcohol Rehab. This is the classic form of addiction treatment. Residential care takes place inside a facility where individuals come to live 24/7 and receive care. These programs are designed to help individuals who are likely to relapse if left exposed to the triggers found in their home environment.
- Outpatient Addiction Treatment. Many times, an individual cannot put her life on hold in order to enter into residential treatment. Outpatient drug and alcohol rehab has the individual going to treatment during the day, and then returning home or to a sober living house in the evening. It is a less expensive option designed for those less likely to relapse if exposed to their home environment.
- Teen Rehab Centers. These programs help young people who are struggling with addiction or substance abuse issues get their lives back on track. Exclusively for adolescents, teen rehab addresses issues such as peer pressure, abusive home environments and self-image problems that lead to addiction.
- Drug and Alcohol Rehab for Women. Gender-specific care for women provides a safe place to take part in detox and counseling while addressing the unique reasons why women develop addictions to drugs and alcohol.
Getting Help for Rehab Treatment
Insurance for treatment is just one of the ways that individuals can receive needed help in their mission to overcome addiction. Those who are fortunate enough to be covered under major health care plans may have all or a large portion of the cost of treatment covered. This is essential, as many families see their finances thrown into ruin as a result of a loved one’s addiction.
Insurance can help pay for drug and alcohol detox, aftercare and counseling, all of which make up the key components of the treatment process. Taken together, these three elements help the individual overcome both the physical and psychological components of addiction. Rehab treatment insurance, therefore, helps the individual receive the most comprehensive addiction care available, whatever their financial resources may be at the time.